TRANSCEND International has four pillars:
Action, Education/Training, Dissemination, Research.
TRANSCEND Media Service-TMS fulfills the three first functions. It is a medium for TR members to present peace journalism-oriented views, news and analyses in written or video format.
TMS is both a service to other media and a medium in its own right. You are most welcome to use all the material presented–no copyright, no fees–but attribution would be appreciated.
TRANSCEND International is an experiment in promoting peace by peaceful means throughout the world. Traditionally, institutes have been centered around a building where the people who work together meet on a regular basis. Since many people who share common interests in helping transform conflicts nonviolently and creatively are geographically scattered and cannot usually be physically together, our solution is to create an electronic network of members. This, in addition, diminishes our carbon footprints and contributes to attenuate the global warming crisis.
TRANSCEND does mediation and peace-building around the world, with Manuals, a Code of Conduct, and Perspectives with diagnosis, prognosis and therapy for conflicts (see: 50 Years-100 Peace & Conflict Perspectives, TRANSCEND University Press, 2008).
- TRANSCEND Peace University-TPU (www.transcend.org/tpu), for government and non-government practitioners and students at any level, with 12-week bi-semester on-line courses, and intensive TPU on-site training programs in several locations around the world (see announcements at the TPU website);
- TRANSCEND University Press-TUP (www.transcend.org/tup), which publishes high quality books and textbooks about peace by peaceful means, development by developmental means, and environment by environmental means;
- TRANSCEND Research Institute-TRI (www.transcend.org/tri), which publishes research papers and booklets for free downloading;
- TRANSCEND Peace Service-TPS, which offers mediation, conciliation and peace-building services by TRANSCEND members, and is open to anybody around the world with conflict and peace concerns and experiences; and
- TRANSCEND Media Service-TMS (www.transcend.org/tms), a Peace Journalism resource for journalists/media, professionals, students and the Internet public at large.
MISSION STATEMENT: PEACE BY PEACEFUL MEANS
TRANSCEND has as its mission: To bring about a more peaceful world by using action, education/training, dissemination and research to handle conflicts nonviolently, with empathy and creativity, for acceptable and sustainable outcomes.
TRANSCEND membership encompasses over 500 invited scholars/practitioners from more than 60 countries, with 24 Conveners in 14 World Regions.
* By peace we mean the capacity to transform conflicts with empathy, without violence, and creatively — a never-ending process;
* By transforming conflicts we mean enabling the parties to go ahead in a self-reliant, acceptable and sustainable manner;
* By with empathy we mean the ability also to understand the conflict the way the parties understand the conflict themselves;
* By without violence we mean that this process should avoid any cultural violence that justifies direct or structural violence;
* By creatively we mean channeling conflict energy toward new realities, accommodating the parties and meeting basic human needs.
A GENERAL PHILOSOPHY UNDERLIES OUR 13 PROGRAMS:
1. Peaceful Conflict Transformation
5. Peace Education
6. Peace Journalism
7. Peace Business
8. Peace Systems
9. Peace and Gender
10. Peace and the Arts
11. Peaceful Foreign Policies
12. Peace Departments/Ministries
13. UN People’s Assembly
THE TMS TEAM:
Johan Galtung – Advisor/Editorialist
Jake Lynch – Advisor/Peace Journalist
Nadine Bilke – Advisor
Antonio Carlos da Silva Rosa – Editor
Malvin Gattinger – Webmaster/Chief Information Officer
Dominik Lehnert – Video Production Assistant
FORMER TMS TEAM MEMBERS:
Federico Doehnert – Student Intern
Sebastian W. Weilbach – Student Intern
Kimberlye Kowalczyk – TMS Resident Journalist
Caroline Hargreaves – TMS Resident Journalist
THE TRANSCEND INT’L WORKING GROUP:
Antonio Carlos da Silva Rosa
15 REGIONS – 25 CONVENERS
Rais Neza Boneza
América Latina & Caribe
Fernando Montiel t.
Sara Rozenblum de Horowitz
Antonio Carlos Silva Rosa
CIS-Commonwealth of Independent States/Russia
Antonio Carlos Silva Rosa