OPCW Investigators Found “No Evidence” of Chemical Weapons at Syrian Facilities Bombed by F-UK-US
25 Apr 2018 – While it will likely take the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons weeks or even months to issue their final report on the alleged gas attack in Douma (an attack for which journalists and other independent parties have failed to find any evidence), the organization’s investigators have apparently spoken with Russian military officials after visiting the site of the Barzeh research center in Damascus – one of the three facilities targeted by the strikes.
At the time we noted Paul Craig Roberts’ ‘awkward question’ to Washington’s warmongers:
If this were true, would not a lethal cloud have been released that would have taken the lives of far more people than claimed in the alleged Syrian chemical attack on Douma?
Would not the US missile attack be identical to a chemical weapons attack and thus place the US and its vassals in the same category as Washington is attempting to place Assad and Putin?
And now, according to Sputnik, the investigators, who spoke with Russian General Staff Col. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy, revealed that they had found no evidence of chemical weapons in the remains of research facilities that were supposedly integral to the Syrian Army’s chemical weapons program. Of course, this shouldn’t come as a surprise: After all, if the US, France and the UK really did bomb a building filled with chemical weapons, there would’ve been thousands – possibly tens of thousands – of bodies to show for it.
“Immediately after the attacks, many people who worked at these destroyed facilities and just bystanders without any protective equipment visited them. None of them got poisoned with toxic agents,” Rudskoy said.
Rudskoy said there was similarly scant evidence of chemical weapons exposure at the Han Shinshar facility, located in the province of Homs. Russia registered only seven missiles had struck the facility, while the Pentagon claimed that it had successfully fired 22 missiles. Russia has previously claimed that only 71 of 103 missiles launched by the coalition made it past Syria’s antiquated air defenses.
“According to the statements of the Pentagon’s representatives, 22 missiles hit the above-ground facilities. We registered no more than seven hits, which is shown in the space image,” he told a briefing.
Furthermore, the Russian Reconciliation Center for Syria said its representatives had questioned local doctors and investigated the site of the attacks. The doctors confirmed that they hadn’t recently treated any patients with signs of exposure to chemical agents, and investigators searching the area found nothing suspicious. Moscow had said the April 7 gas attack that purportedly took place in Douma, part of the Eastern Ghouta region that was recently reclaimed following a military victory over the last rebel forces in the area, was in fact staged by the White Helmets, an NGO that supports US interests in Syria under the guise of altruism. While the US has refused to share the supposedly “slam dunk” evidence that the Syrian government was behind the attack, US and French authorities have cited videos posted to YouTube by the White Helmets as sufficient proof of an attack.
But as Ron Paul argued in a recent column, even if the Syrian army did carry out the gas attack in Douma, evidence of this still wouldn’t justify the US, UK and France bombing targets inside a foreign country.
The Syrian civil war has been a bloody one. Hundreds of thousands of combatants (and tens of thousands of civilians) have been blown up by airstrikes, ripped to pieces by shrapnel or mutilated and murdered in some other grotesque fashion. The problem is, the US intervention wasn’t motivated by humanitarian instincts – rather, Washington’s outrage is very selective and politically motivated.
We are not the policemen of the world, Paul added. Bad leaders do terrible things all the time – and this is true even in the US. The US has neither the moral authority – or the money – to carry out overseas bombings. Especially now that it has become clear the Trump administration didn’t have sound evidence of an attack, the hasty decision to resort to force was a foolish one.
Zero Hedge is an English-language financial blog that aggregates news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym “Tyler Durden” (a character from the novel and film Fight Club). Wikileaks
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
EXPOSURES - EXPOSÉS:
- PRIO [Founded by Johan Galtung]: Silently Disciplining Research
- Reuters, BBC, and Bellingcat Participated in Covert UK Foreign Office-Funded Programs to “Weaken Russia,” Leaked Docs Reveal
- Leaked Docs: OP. HMG Trojan Part 4 - Undermining Russia
- Trump Acquitted in Senate Impeachment Trial for Second Time
- Twitter Bans President Trump Permanently
- Pelosi Asks Military to Limit Trump's Nuclear Authority--Here's How That System Works
- Americans Wake Up! Outlaw Technocrats Are Stealing Our Democracy
- Is Traditional Liberalism Vanishing?
- Biden Continues the U.S. Conflict with China through the Quad
- Six Days in Fallujah: Another Video Game That Refuses to Question US Militarism?
- Quad Summit Consolidates US-Led Military Bloc to Prepare for War against China
- Our Four Nations Are Committed to a Free, Open, Secure and Prosperous Indo-Pacific Region
- Collateral Crucifixion – Pressuring for Julian Assange’s Release!
- The European Council against the Trade in Instruments of Torture
- The “Defender-Europe”-- US Army Arrives
MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA:
- "Attempted Coup" in Jordan: Former Crown Prince Arrested
- Weaponization of Aid Contributes to Death of Yemenis
- Yemen: World’s Worst Humanitarian Disaster Triggered by Deadly Weapons from US and UK
SYRIA IN CONTEXT:
- Syria War: Ten Years of Deception
- Syria: Losses in Oil Stolen by US and Its Allies Revealed
- Biden’s Reckless Syria Bombing Is Not the Diplomacy He Promised
- International Women’s Day 8 Mar 2021
- COVID Fuelling Risk of Recruitment and Use of Children in Armed Conflict, UN and EU Warn on International Day
- Venezuela Presents the UNSC Proposal for an International Association against US Sanctions to Stop Crimes against Humanity
WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION: