OPCW Investigators Found “No Evidence” of Chemical Weapons at Syrian Facilities Bombed by F-UK-US
25 Apr 2018 – While it will likely take the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons weeks or even months to issue their final report on the alleged gas attack in Douma (an attack for which journalists and other independent parties have failed to find any evidence), the organization’s investigators have apparently spoken with Russian military officials after visiting the site of the Barzeh research center in Damascus – one of the three facilities targeted by the strikes.
At the time we noted Paul Craig Roberts’ ‘awkward question’ to Washington’s warmongers:
If this were true, would not a lethal cloud have been released that would have taken the lives of far more people than claimed in the alleged Syrian chemical attack on Douma?
Would not the US missile attack be identical to a chemical weapons attack and thus place the US and its vassals in the same category as Washington is attempting to place Assad and Putin?
And now, according to Sputnik, the investigators, who spoke with Russian General Staff Col. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy, revealed that they had found no evidence of chemical weapons in the remains of research facilities that were supposedly integral to the Syrian Army’s chemical weapons program. Of course, this shouldn’t come as a surprise: After all, if the US, France and the UK really did bomb a building filled with chemical weapons, there would’ve been thousands – possibly tens of thousands – of bodies to show for it.
“Immediately after the attacks, many people who worked at these destroyed facilities and just bystanders without any protective equipment visited them. None of them got poisoned with toxic agents,” Rudskoy said.
Rudskoy said there was similarly scant evidence of chemical weapons exposure at the Han Shinshar facility, located in the province of Homs. Russia registered only seven missiles had struck the facility, while the Pentagon claimed that it had successfully fired 22 missiles. Russia has previously claimed that only 71 of 103 missiles launched by the coalition made it past Syria’s antiquated air defenses.
“According to the statements of the Pentagon’s representatives, 22 missiles hit the above-ground facilities. We registered no more than seven hits, which is shown in the space image,” he told a briefing.
Furthermore, the Russian Reconciliation Center for Syria said its representatives had questioned local doctors and investigated the site of the attacks. The doctors confirmed that they hadn’t recently treated any patients with signs of exposure to chemical agents, and investigators searching the area found nothing suspicious. Moscow had said the April 7 gas attack that purportedly took place in Douma, part of the Eastern Ghouta region that was recently reclaimed following a military victory over the last rebel forces in the area, was in fact staged by the White Helmets, an NGO that supports US interests in Syria under the guise of altruism. While the US has refused to share the supposedly “slam dunk” evidence that the Syrian government was behind the attack, US and French authorities have cited videos posted to YouTube by the White Helmets as sufficient proof of an attack.
But as Ron Paul argued in a recent column, even if the Syrian army did carry out the gas attack in Douma, evidence of this still wouldn’t justify the US, UK and France bombing targets inside a foreign country.
The Syrian civil war has been a bloody one. Hundreds of thousands of combatants (and tens of thousands of civilians) have been blown up by airstrikes, ripped to pieces by shrapnel or mutilated and murdered in some other grotesque fashion. The problem is, the US intervention wasn’t motivated by humanitarian instincts – rather, Washington’s outrage is very selective and politically motivated.
We are not the policemen of the world, Paul added. Bad leaders do terrible things all the time – and this is true even in the US. The US has neither the moral authority – or the money – to carry out overseas bombings. Especially now that it has become clear the Trump administration didn’t have sound evidence of an attack, the hasty decision to resort to force was a foolish one.
Zero Hedge is an English-language financial blog that aggregates news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym “Tyler Durden” (a character from the novel and film Fight Club). Wikileaks
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- US Journalist Andre Vltchek Dies Suspiciously in İstanbul
- US Seizes Iranian Oil from Four Tankers En Route to Venezuela
- BREAKING: Israel Bombed Beirut
EXPOSURES - EXPOSÉS:
- Two Massive New Leaks Show Dirty Underbelly of Empire
- Leaked Docs Expose Massive Syria Propaganda Operation Waged by Western Gov’t Contractors and Media
- Report Documents Criminality and Corruption at Heart of Global Banking System
- The Nuclearization of American Diplomacy
- Americans Are Dying in the Pandemic at Rates Far Higher Than in Other Countries
- The Plot Against Gretchen Whitmer Shows the Danger of Private Militias
- How a Police State Starts
- Julian Assange Receives First Visitors in Six Months: “He Is in a Lot of Pain”
- While EU Leaders Squabble, the Elephant in the Room Remains Unnoticed
MIDDLE EAST & NORTH AFRICA:
- Forget About Jewish or Democratic. Is Israel Even an Actual Country?
- Trump Administration Imposes Crushing New Sanctions on Iran
- There Is Still Much to Be Learned about the Beirut Explosion
SYRIA IN CONTEXT:
- A Perfect Storm on the Horizon
- Turkey Now Claims Syria’s Idlib Province as Turkish Territory
- NATO: From Covert Sponsor to Artillery Provider for Terrorists in Syria
- The United Nations and Decolonization: Non-Self-Governing Territories
- Strange Celebrations of the UN 75th Anniversary: Leaders Hated and Feared Make False Claims of Global Peace, Security and Justice
- Vedantic Democracy, Education and Peace
- U.S. Expands Military Bases in the Eastern Mediterranean and Lures Debt-Weary Greece into Provocative Military Partnership for Geopolitical Control of Region
- DARPA: The Pentagon’s Mad Scientists at Work
- Peace Is Endangered Not by Chinese Military Expansion but by a Declining US Viewing It as an Existential Threat
WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION: