29 May 2021: First Meeting of the Council of Wisdoms of the Earth’s Peoples
IN FOCUS, 31 May 2021
25 May 2021 – The Multiconvergence of Global Networks (MRG) is an articulation that aggregates global networks for mutual support, dialogue, development of common strategies and planning of joint actions. It is not an institution, but a confluence of global civil society networks that explores new ways of doing politics through interarticulation, communication and cooperation between various processes that seek to strengthen planetary citizenship.
Since its creation in 2020, MRG has been working simultaneously on three projects:
- a letter delivered to the UN Secretary General that outlines our general principles and calls for the creation of a Planetary Citizens’ Assembly at the UN;
- a Pact of Conviviality that spells out the spiritual and moral values that guide new ways of doing politics and offers a new, more feminine methodology of cooperation and co-construction between global networks and
- a democratic experiment that will test the viability of the Planetary Citizens’ Parliament, initially creating it on a reduced scale as a Parliament within the networks.
The 8th Assembly of the MRG, held last 27 March, following an activitiy at the World Social Forum 2021, ratified the decision to start the experimental creation of a Parliament of Planetary Citizenship within the Networks. The Parliament will be composed of two Chambers, a Council of the Wisdom’s of the Earth’s Peoples and an Assembly of Planetary Citizenship. We will begin the experiment on the 29th. of May with the first meeting of the Council of Wisdoms, composed of two people (necessarily one woman and one man) from each network who are active and recognized in the network for their wisdom, moral exemplarity and leadership services. It is expected that in the first exploratory meeting of the Council, the delegates will ratify the Pact of Conviviality and begin discussions on the organisation of the Planetary Citizenship Assembly and on the urgent themes that will have to be given priority by the Parliament.
The fundamental criterion enabling global networks to take part in the experiment is that they are established in different countries with active local nodes. So far, the following networks have confirmed their participation and appointed two delegates to represent them:
- United Religions Initiative (URI) – Swamini Adityananda Saraswati (planetary citizen) and Francisco Morales (Argentina).
- Dialogues in Humanities – Geneviève Ancel (France) and Siddhartha (India)
- Convivialist International– Alain Caillé (France) and Geneviève Azam (France)
- Agora of the Inhabitants of the Earth – Ricardo Petrella (Italy) and Fatoumata Ki-Zerbo (Senegal/Mali/Burkina Faso)
- Economies of Francis and Clare – Emilce Cuda (Argentina) and Célio Turino (Brazil)
- Earth Charter – Moema Viezzer (Brazil) and Mateo Alfredo Castillo Ceja (Mexico)
- International Network Solidarius – Celina Valadez (Mexico) and Jason Nardi (Spain)
- Ashish Kothari (India) and Vasna Ramasar (South Africa) of the Global Tapestry of Alternatives and Celia Marie (France) and Luis Guiilermo (Colombia) of the Galactica Foundation will participate as “delegates-observers”.
- The Pressenza Press Agency and the Steering Group of the Multiconvergence of global Networks, formed by Débora Nunes, Marcos Arruda, Alicia Blanco, Salette Aquino Frederic Vandenberghe, Moema Vizier, Tereza Martins da Costa and Tatiana Fleming come in as support-networks.
We take this opportunity to remind you of the criteria for the functioning and choice of future members to compose the two chambers:
1. Council of Wisdoms of Earth’s Peoples
It has a consultative function and is appointed by each network present at the MRG according to the following quotas: 2 members, one man and one woman, from among people with notable wisdom according to the following criteria:
- Ancestral peoples (indigenous/quilombolas/tribals)
- Academics and Scientists
- Spiritual Leaders
- Social Movement Leaders
- Social innovators.
To compose this Council the networks indicate 2 people with different characteristics and the facilitating commission will take care of the maintenance of the diversity of profiles.
This Council will propose the topics for the deliberation of the Assembly of Planetary Citizenship, will share diverse knowledge and will discuss its Pact of Conviviality and its methodology of functioning.
2. Assembly of Planetary Citizenship
With 90 members, it has deliberative character, it is sovereign and constituted by lot. After the formation of the Council of the wisdoms, the networks will indicate 20 persons (respecting the criteria below) and will send the list of names before May 15th. The facilitating commission will draw lots for the 90 members, equally among the networks, but taking into account each criterion to guarantee the representativeness through
- Socioeconomic situation
Relationship between the two chambers: the Council of Wisdoms suggests and advises the topics for discussion and the modalities, giving inspirational support to the Citizens’ Assembly. No one may belong to two chambers at the same time.
The Assembly of Citizenship then, sovereignly, discusses and decides on the themes and publishes what has been decided.
Remembering that this is only an experiment, a prototype, a service that will be shared with other networks of networks that are also trying to create experiences of planetary governance from, by and for the peoples.
In the certainty that you will be an inspiration for the modest experiment that could lead to a real Parliament of Planetary Citizenship, we send you wishes of health and enthusiasm!
First meeting of the Council of Wisdoms of the Earth’s Peoples on 29 May
at 15.00 (GMT – London – Lisbon) – 16.00 (CET Paris) and 11.00 (Brasília)
MRG – Multiconvergência de Redes Globais – Articulation of transnational citizens’ networks
Tags: Cooperation, Earth, World
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article: