FIA Formula E[lectric] Championship
ENERGY, 25 Aug 2014
The New Global Electric Racing Series
Formula E is a new FIA championship featuring single-seater cars powered exclusively by electric energy. It represents a vision for the future of the motor industry over the coming decades, serving as a framework for R&D around the electric vehicle, accelerating general interest in these cars and promoting sustainability. Commencing in September 2014 through to June 2015, the championship will compete in the heart of 10 of the world’s leading cities – including Beijing, Buenos Aires and London – racing around their iconic landmarks. For the inaugural season, 10 teams, each with two drivers, will go head-to-head creating a unique and exciting racing series designed to appeal to a new generation of motorsport fans.
- 10 international teams, each with two drivers. Each driver will have 2 cars.
- Races will take place on 10 city-centre venues around the world
- Circuits will be from 2.5km to 3 km in length
- Cars will accelerate from 0- 100Km/h in 2.9 seconds, with a maximum speed of 225Km/h
- The cars will still produce sound at around 80 decibels (more than a road car travelling at 70mph)
- Practice, qualifying and the race will all take place in one day (Saturday) in order to minimise disruption to the city.
- Practice will last one hour with cars taking to the track as they please.
- Qualifying will see cars taking to the track in groups in order to avoid congestion with each driver having a set number of laps in order to set their fastest time.
- Races will be one hour in length with each driver required to make two mandatory pit stops to change cars. Tyres will not be changed.
- Points will be awarded to the top 10 finishers in accordance with other FIA championships: 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1
Official Website : www.fiaformulae.com
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.