UN Review of US “International Criminal Program of Torture”
UNITED NATIONS, 3 Nov 2014
Sep 29, 2014 – Shadow Report to the United Nations Committee Against Torture on the Review of the Periodic Report of the United States of America
Advocates for U.S. Torture Prosecutions: Dr. Trudy Bond, Prof. Benjamin Davis, Dr. Curtis F. J. Doebbler, and The International Human Rights Clinic at Harvard Law School
Since the United States last reported to the Committee Against Torture in 2006, even more evidence has emerged confirming that civilian and military officials at the highest level created, designed, authorized, and implemented a sophisticated, international criminal program of torture. In August 2014, President Barack Obama conceded that the United States tortured people as part of its so-called “War on Terror,” yet the United States continues to shield senior officials from liability for these crimes, in violation of its obligations under the Convention Against Torture.
- Why has the United States not prosecuted senior officials for authorizing conduct it admits was torture?
- Were the following people ever criminally investigated for their role in torture, and why have they not been prosecuted?
- Former President George W. Bush
- Former Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) at the Department of Justice lawyer John Yoo
- Former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) contractor Dr. James Mitchell
Download pdf file:
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 3 Nov 2014.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: UN Review of US “International Criminal Program of Torture”, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
One Response to “UN Review of US “International Criminal Program of Torture””
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- US Supreme Court Ruling on Environmental Protection ‘a Setback in Our Fight against Climate Change’
- UK’s Bid to Export Some Refugees to Rwanda, ‘All Wrong’, Says UN Refugee Chief
- Global Divide: 76% of Humanity (All Poorer Nations of Color) Voted to Not Exclude Russia from the UN Human Rights Council