Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire Joins the Freedom Flotilla 2016 to Break the Gaza Siege
Mairead Maguire, Nobel Peace Prize winner, will join the women’s boat to Gaza. The goal of this mission is to highlight the devastating effects of the brutal blockade of the Palestinian people living in Gaza.
Mairead Corrigan Maguire, co-founder of Peace People, is a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace, Development and Environment. She won the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize for her work for peace in Northern Ireland. Her book The Vision of Peace (edited by John Dear, with a foreword by Desmond Tutu and a preface by the Dalai Lama) is available from www.wipfandstock.com. She lives in Belfast, Northern Ireland. See: www.peacepeople.com.
The Peace People began in 1976 as a protest movement against the ongoing violence in Northern Ireland. Its three founders were Mairead Maguire, Betty Williams and Ciaran McKeown. Over 100,000 people were involved in the initial movement and two of the founders, Mairead and Betty, received the Nobel Peace Prize for that year. Since its inception, the organization has been committed to building a just, peaceful society through nonviolent means – a society based on respect for each individual, and that has at its core the highest standards of human and civil rights.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 19 Sep 2016.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire Joins the Freedom Flotilla 2016 to Break the Gaza Siege, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Jake Lynch on Peace Journalism
- Meet Antonio C. S. Rosa, Pioneer in Peace Journalism - Be the Change: Enter Peace Journalism (Parts 1 & 2)
- Johan Galtung and Amy Goodman Talk Peace, Justice, Empire, Occupation
- City of London Corporation Votes in Favour of Revoking [Nobel Peace Laureate] Aung San Suu Kyi Honorary Freedom Award
- Nobel Peace Prize 2019 – Nomination info in English, French, German, Spanish, Swedish - Deadline: 31 Jan
- Nominate a True Nobel «Champion of a Global Peace Order and Disarmament»
SHORT VIDEO CLIPS: