The PROJECT 100 Years of Peace (1918-2018/19)
ANNOUNCEMENTS, 25 Jun 2018
Ideas, Actions and Lives to Build Up Peace
In the twentieth century the violence of the two World Wars, of genocides and mass destructions was manifested, but also the novelty of nonviolence as a political doctrine, which was translated into new modes of struggle and liberation.
For years here at the Centro Studi Sereno Regis we have felt the need for a new narration: human history, which from elementary school to university is told as a series of wars, has actually flourished and been built in times of peace too; civil progress, social and environmental achievements, rights, constitutions, are the result of the slow and tenacious cooperation between people, not the result of violent conflicts.
This project invites to look at history in a different way. It tells a History not yet told and offers new horizons. The images, the documents, the testimonies collected here allow to learn, deepen, explore new perspectives, and to collaborate, with aim of building together a present and a future rooted in nonviolence.
Since three years the Centro Studi Sereno Regis is engaged in a research work and a collection of historical memory dedicated to the construction of peace and to the development of forms of nonviolent struggle and resistance in the twentieth century, with the aim of creating a project developed into several actions, including a photographic exhibition suitable for international circulation, as an opportunity to present to civil society a historical narrative only slightly visible so far. An exhibition made out of photographs, posters, video and audio-documents, which will help to develop awareness that each person, each community has a positive power to get out of the state of impotence and passivity facing events that seem to overwhelm us.
The project is structured as follows:
- An Exhibition will be set up in November 2018 (from the 2nd to the 30th) at the Centro Studi Sereno Regis head quarter, with the collaboration of the scenographer Paola Bizzarri, with the purpose to involve the public, the youth above all.
- Higher secondary school students will be offered the opportunity for guided tours, during the morning hours, The exhibition will be open (admission free) to the public during the pre-evening hours and weekends.
- We are developing a website, in collaboration with Silvano Folco, in order to collect all the material resulting from research on the different topics of the project. It will facilitate the work of both the researchers involved in the selection of documents and images, and the public, teachers and scholars willing to further study the issues presented. The site will include bibliographic references and other appropriate information.
- Teachers of secondary schools will have the opportunity to attend a Course recognized by MIUR : “Look at the other face of history”, an interdisciplinary educational path of 20 hours about the history of ideas, protagonists and actions of nonviolence during the Twentieth Century and the beginning of the XXI.
- A training activity will take place with a group of university students to involve them, as guides, in the guided tours of the exhibition and in laboratories and interactive activities.
We are planning also many side events before and during the exhibition period, and also in the following year: 2019 will mark the 150 anniversary of Gandhi’s birth!.
- The first event will be the Annual Conference of the Centro Studi Sereno Regis which will take place on October 5th and 6th 2018 at the headquarters of our center (Via Garibaldi 13, Torino).
- On october 23rd (6 p.m.,) Bruno Maida, author of the book “L’infanzia nelle guerre del Novecento” (Einaudi, 2017) will intervene in conversation with the historian Carlo Greppi.
- On october 25th (6 p.m., at the Cultural Centre “Polo del ‘900”, Via del Carmine 14, Torino) Marcella Filippa, scientific director of Fondazione Nocentini, will introduce a video on Etty Hillesum.
- On october 29th (6 p.m., at “Polo del ‘900”) in collaboration with Istituto Salvemini a documentary-video will be screened about defectors, mutineers, riots, executions in the Great War: “Non ne parliamo più di questa guerra”, by Fredo Valla (Nefertiti Film).
Fundraising initiatives are under way to fund the project. We did apply for the 8 x Mille of the Waldensian Church; we are now starting a crowdfunding campaign through an international platform and will apply to some Foundations calls.
After the planned setting up in Torino, the exhibition and all the material collected for the project will be available to be circulated in Italy and abroad.
The project received the patronage of the Municipality of Turin.
The numerous Groups and Associations that have joined the initiative as Partner are listed below.
|Centro di Documentazione del Manifesto Pacifista Internazionale (C.D.M.P.I.) http://casaperlapacelafilanda.it/|
|Coordinamento Comuni per la Pace (Co.Co.Pa) http://www.cocopa.it/|
|FEI (Federazione Esperantista Italiana) https://www.esperanto.it/|
|Fondazione Luigi Micheletti http://www.fondazionemicheletti.eu|
|Forum Trentino per la Pace e i diritti umani www.forumpace.it/|
|Gruppo ASSEFA Torino www.assefatorino.org|
|International Fellowship of Reconciliation IFOR www.ifor.org/|
|Movimento Nonviolento http://nonviolenti.org/cms/|
|Pax Christi www.paxchristi.it/|
|Pro Natura Torino http://torino.pro-natura.it/|
|Rete Internazionale di Musei per la Pace (INMP) http://www.museumsforpeace.org/|
|WAR Resisters’ International https://www.wri-irg.org/en|
Angela Dogliotti Marasso is a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace Development Environment and director of the Centro Studi Sereno Regis in Torino, Italy.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 25 Jun 2018.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: The PROJECT 100 Years of Peace (1918-2018/19), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article: