Progressive International: The Athens Declaration on Ukraine
IN FOCUS, 16 May 2022
Pressenza - TRANSCEND Media Service
Today, 13 May 2022, three members of the Progressive International, Yanis Varoufakis, Jeremy Corbyn and Ece Temelkuran, called a press conference to make public the Athens Declaration on the Russian invasion and the war in Ukraine. Here is the text:
The War on Ukraine calls for support for victims of war and a New Non-Aligned Movement
- We stand with the people of Ukraine, as we stand with every people suffering invasion, displacement and occupation.
- We demand an immediate ceasefire, the withdrawal of Russian forces and a comprehensive Peace Treaty guaranteed by the European Union, the United States and Russia in the context of the United Nations.
- We urge respect for International Law and all refugees, who must have their rights protected and offered a place of safety regardless of ethnicity, religion etc.
- We oppose the division of the world in competing blocs that invest in rampant militarism, hyper-modern weapons of mass destruction and a New Cold War.
- We believe that lasting peace can be achieved only by replacing all military blocs with an inclusive international security framework that de-escalates tensions, expands freedoms, fights poverty, limits exploitation, pursues social and environmental justice and terminates the domination of one country by another.
With these thoughts in mind, we call upon democrats across the world to join forces in a New Non-Aligned Movement. In this context, we view non-aligned, democratic and sovereign nations working together as the route to lasting peace and a world that can avert climate catastrophe and bequeath to the next generation a decent chance at creating the conditions for globally shared prosperity.
Jeremy Corbyn, Ece Temelkuran & Yanis Varoufakis, on behalf of
The PROGRESSIVE INTERNATIONAL, DiEM25, MeRA25
Watch the full press conference here:
This post is also available in: Spanish, French, Italian, German, Greek
Go to Original – pressenza.com
Tags: Athens Declaration, DiEM25, Ece Temelkuran, European Union, Jeremy Corbyn, NATO, Progressive International, Refugees, Russia, USA, Ukraine, WMD, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Yanis Varoufakis
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article: