90% of TEPCO Workers Defied Orders, Fled Fukushima Plant in 2011


Hideaki Kimura – The Asahi Shimbun

Almost all workers, including managers required to deal with accidents, defied orders and fled the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant at a critical juncture when the disaster was unfolding in March 2011, documents showed.

Amid fears that a reactor containment vessel had been destroyed, around 650, or 90 percent, of the approximately 720 workers at the plant left the premises despite being told to remain at the site by the plant’s manager, Masao Yoshida.

Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of the No. 1 plant, has never mentioned the orders Yoshida issued on March 15, 2011, four days after the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami caused the meltdowns of three reactors. The company now says Yoshida’s orders were flexible, and that no breaches of company rules occurred.

Yoshida’s orders were revealed in a document covering exchanges when prosecutors on loan questioned him on behalf of the government’s Investigation Committee on the Accident at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Stations of Tokyo Electric Power Co.

The Asahi Shimbun obtained a copy of the document, consisting of more than 400 pages.

Yoshida was questioned on 13 separate occasions between July 22, 2011, and Nov. 6, 2011, for a total of 29 hours, 16 minutes, including an hour and eight minutes of breaks.

He died in July 2013 of esophageal cancer.

According to the document, Yoshida was in the emergency command center on the second floor of a quake-proof building on the plant site when he received two reports around 6:15 a.m. on March 15, 2011. One was about the sound of an explosion coming from the direction of the No. 2 reactor. The other described pressure falling to zero in the reactor’s suppression chamber.

Both were signs that the No. 2 reactor containment vessel was damaged or destroyed, which would have been a crisis situation at the plant.

However, Yoshida judged that the containment vessel had not been damaged because radiation levels were not increasing in the emergency command center.

At 6:42 a.m., Yoshida ordered workers to temporarily evacuate to locations at the plant site where radiation levels were comparatively low. He told them to wait in locations from where they could immediately return to their posts.

He added that the workers would be asked to return once confirmation was made that there were no abnormalities.

In the document, Yoshida said he considered areas at the plant where radiation levels were low as the temporary evacuation sites.

According to Yoshida’s testimony to the government panel, some workers around 7 a.m. told drivers of buses waiting outside the command center to head to the Fukushima No. 2 nuclear power plant about 10 kilometers to the south. Other workers hopped into their own vehicles and drove to the No. 2 plant, also operated by TEPCO.

The roads were damaged by the quake and tsunami, and the workers who fled would have to wear and remove protective clothing and face masks when entering and leaving the Fukushima No. 2 plant. That means they would have been unable to follow Yoshida’s order to return immediately to their posts at the No. 1 plant.

Designated group managers, who are required under TEPCO regulations to remain at their posts to provide support in operating and controlling nuclear reactors when a major accident occurs, were among the 650 people who fled to the No. 2 plant.

According to the document, Yoshida told a government panel questioner: “In fact, I never told the workers to go (to the No. 2 plant). I thought I gave an order to temporarily evacuate to a location where radiation levels were low near the Fukushima No. 1 plant and await further instructions.

“After the workers arrived at the No. 2 plant, I contacted them and asked that the group managers be the first to return.”

Yoshida did not seem to blame the rank-and-file workers for fleeing, telling his questioner “it may have been unavoidable.” However, he did express surprise that group managers were among those who had left.

Only 69 workers remained at the No. 1 plant. It was not until around noon on March 15 that other workers returned from the No. 2 plant.

During their absence, white steam was seen spewing out of the No. 2 reactor and a fire occurred at the No. 4 reactor. Radiation levels reached the highest levels near the main gate of the No. 1 plant.

Yoshida’s testimony raises questions about whether utility workers can be depended upon to remain at their posts in the event of an emergency.

TEPCO’s internal documents do not mention Yoshida’s orders for workers to remain near the No. 1 plant. The company’s report on its own investigation into the Fukushima disaster explains that about 650 workers evacuated to the No. 2 plant, but it gives the impression the move was in line with ordinary procedures.

In 2012, TEPCO released videos of teleconferences after the Fukushima nuclear accident started. In one scene, Yoshida is seen giving orders to a large number of workers in the emergency command center. However, it was unclear what Yoshida said at that time because TEPCO said no audio recording had been made.

Even today, TEPCO officials avoid placing blame on those workers, including the group managers, who left for the No. 2 plant.

“Evacuating temporarily to the No. 2 plant was not a violation of regulations because Yoshida’s order left open the possibility of leaving for the No. 2 plant if there were no locations at the No. 1 plant where radiation levels were low,” a TEPCO official said.

Go to Original – asahi.com


Share this article:

DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

One Response to “90% of TEPCO Workers Defied Orders, Fled Fukushima Plant in 2011”

  1. satoshi says:

    Around 90% of TEPCO workers defied orders and fled the Fukushima Nuclear Plant in March 2011, according to the above article. That was the moment around 90% of the so-called “safety myth of nuclear energy” also disappeared from the Fukushima Nuclear Plant site.

    The safety myth of nuclear energy was created allegedly during the 1950s and the 1970s in Japan.
    The argument in the safety myth of nuclear energy includes the notion that the nuclear energy is safe so that there is no necessity for the preparation of an evacuation plan or of a fail-safe plan. According to media, the government then argued, “The preparation of any evacuation plan or a fail-safe plan means that there is still a possibility that the nuclear power plant might cause an accident. The nuclear power plant is safe; therefore, there is no need to prepare any of such safety measures.”

    In addition, whistle-blowers were removed from any nuclear related job. Then, “peace” prevailed on the site of the nuclear power plant.

    However, TEPCO workers were fully aware that the nuclear power plant might cause a catastrophic accident. They knew that the safety myth was nothing but mere rhetoric to convince the local people.

    When the TEPCO workers’ fear became the reality in March 2011, they escaped from the Fukushima nuclear power plant site immediately. Meanwhile, the local residents did not know about it. They were informed about the fatal accident of the nuclear power plant a few hours later. There was no emergency information system for the local people because the nuclear power plant was supposed to be safe, the safety myth.

    Did any nuclear power plant authorities in the rest of the world learn the lesson from Fukushima’s case? The director of a nuclear power plant in a certain country reportedly said, “Although we do not have any evacuation plan or any relevant training, we believe that we are and will be all right. We are not Fukushima. The case of Fukushima, an incident far away from our country, has nothing to do with us.”

    “What happened to Three Mile Island and Chernobyl will never happened to us (Fukushima).” The Japanese government and TEPCO had relied on that safety myth until the fatal accident in March 2011.

    “What happened to Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima will never happen to us” is a variation on Fukushima’s safety myth. “What happened to X will never happen to us” may be the formula of this type of the safety myth.

    However, who guarantees that what happened to them will never happen to you? Think again: What did the defiance of these 90% of the workers of the Fukushima Nuclear Plant actually teach us?