126 Years of Illegal US Occupation of Hawai’i
On January 17, 1893 a coup d’état was carried out against Queen Lili’uokalani and the Hawaiian Kingdom by foreign resident business interests with the assistance of U.S. Marines from the USS Boston. An illegal U.S. occupation of Hawai’i has continued ever since. Contrary to popular belief there never was a Treaty of Annexation.
Today, occupied Hawai’i is home to more than 100 U.S. military installations, a runaway tourist industry and settler population that has turned Hawai’i into a playground for rich land speculators. Nearly 1 in every 2 households can’t cover basic needs. $92,000 is now considered low income on Oahu. Native Hawaiians (Kanaka Maoli), who make up 20% of the population, now make up the majority of homeless and 60% of the prison population in their own homeland. The sacred Kanaka Maoli temple — Mauna Kea, is being desecrated by scientific development including the 13th telescope – TMT. 133,000-acres at Pohakuloa continue to be desecrated, bombed and contaminated with military toxins, and 90% of food consumed in Hawai’i is now imported to what was once a 100% food self sufficient society. Aloha ‘Aina –Mauka to Makai! Malama Honua! Save the planet!
Today, a new military coup of sorts is being carried out in Hawaii. It’s called “Special Ops.” Covert military water, land, and air-based trainings OUTSIDE of military bases are being planned. They will be carried out in coastal nearshore waters, shorelines, and inland locations on all islands involving Navy, Army, Marines and Air Force. This is a gross expansion, normalization, and glorification of militarism and war in our communities. It will only add to the catastrophic consequences – environmental, cultural, etc. of 126 years of illegal US military occupation of Hawaii. In short, it is military training to do to other nations what the US has already done to the Hawaiian Kingdom –overthrow its government and illegally occupy it’s territory. Justice demands the U.S. end it’s illegal occupation and restore Hawai’i as it was –an independent nation of military neutrality.
Stop this Military Madness! Free Hawaii Now!
- Mourn all victims of violence
- Reject war as a solution
- Defend civil liberties.
- Ground the Drones! Say No to War!
- Oppose all discrimination, anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, anti-Hawaiian, etc.
- Seek peace by peaceful means through justice in Hawai’i and around the world.
Jan. 25, 2019 Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet — week 905 – Fridays 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office
James Albertini is a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace, Development and Environment, and director of Malu ‘Aina Center for Non-violent Education & Action – P.O. Box 489 Kurtistown, Hawai’i 96760. Phone (+ 808) 966-7622 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- The American Dream Is Alive and Well—in China
- Climate Crisis and the 2020 U.S. Elections
- The Various Shades of Cricket Matches
- Economic Sanctions as Collective Punishment: The Case of Venezuela
- Australia High Court to Decide if Aboriginals without Citizenship Can Be Deported
- Decadent “Western Community of Values”. Human Trafficking and Sex Slavery
- The Psychosis of Hegemony
- The U.S. Government’s Crusade against Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning
- Mexico Releases the Full Text of Trump’s Immigration “Deal”
- Forget GDP — New Zealand Is Prioritizing Gross National Well-Being
- Sri Lanka: How the UN Failed Tamil Civilians in 2009
- The U.S. Put Nuclear Waste under a Dome on a Pacific Island--Now It’s Cracking Open
- The American Cult of Bombing and Endless Wars
- U.S. Government Seeks NGO Help for Removing Iran from Syria
- The Media Loves This UFO Expert Who Says He Worked for an Obscure Pentagon Program. Did He?