CNN Brazil Will Have an Evangelical Pastor, Billionaire Edir Macedo from IURD, as CEO
An evangelical pastor will head the upcoming CNN Brasil and the channel will adhere to Bolsonaro’s policies.
17 Jan 2019 — Edir Macedo, an evangelist pastor will be the CEO of CNN Brazil. The United States media giant Cable News Network (CNN) will open for the first time in the Latin American country during the first year of the far-right President Jair Bolsonaro’s administration.
There will be branches in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, and Brasília, and the editorial line will be defined by the Brazilian bosses and not by the American group Turner.
The opening of CNN Brasil is giving rise to the speculations that it will try to compete with the regional media chain Globo which has GloboNewsChannel. Globo is known for being critical towards the far-right president. Hence, many believe that CNN Brasil will be equivalent to Fox News in the U.S. which supports the U.S. President Donald Trump administration.
“Brazil is an important country to follow the expansion of the CNN brand. This announcement is part of a global strategy to work with like-minded partners and see a clear opportunity for local CNN branded products and news,” CNN Vice President of Sales Greg Beitchman told the Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper.
DISCLAIMER: The statements, views and opinions expressed in pieces republished here are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily represent those of TMS. In accordance with title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. TMS has no affiliation whatsoever with the originator of this article nor is TMS endorsed or sponsored by the originator. “GO TO ORIGINAL” links are provided as a convenience to our readers and allow for verification of authenticity. However, as originating pages are often updated by their originating host sites, the versions posted may not match the versions our readers view when clicking the “GO TO ORIGINAL” links. This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond ‘fair use’, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
One Response to “CNN Brazil Will Have an Evangelical Pastor, Billionaire Edir Macedo from IURD, as CEO”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Inside Jared Kushner’s Coronavirus Research: A Wide Net on a Giant Facebook Group
- One Year of U.S. Nuclear Weapons Spending Would Provide 300,000 ICU Beds, 35,000 Ventilators and Salaries of 75,000 Doctors
- COVID-19 Blunders Signal End of ‘American Century’
- “Keep It Confidential:” The Secret History of U.S. Involvement in Brazil’s Scandal-Wracked Operation Car Wash
- Gandhi’s Killer Evokes Admiration as Never Before
- How India’s Modi Is Playing on Trump’s Ego to His Advantage
LATIN AMERICA & THE CARIBBEAN:
- Letter from President Maduro as the U.S. Threatens Venezuela with War
- The World Rediscovers Cuban Medical Internationalism
- Not Letting Covid-19 Crisis Go to Waste? US Ramps up War on Drugs… Focusing on Venezuela’s Maduro
- Nuremberg and Media
- ‘And Then – Nothing. Silence’: The Deadly Facade of ‘Democracy’
- UN's Nils Melzer on Assange: «A Murderous System Is Being Created before Our very Eyes»