KKNPP 3 & 4 Announcement – A Cruel Joke on Indians and Our Democracy
March 21, 2013
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has approved the proposal to grant administrative and financial sanction for constructing units 3 & 4 at the Koodankulam site. This sounds like a practical joke being played on the people of India even as the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Project units 1 & 2 are born still with all kinds of leaks, repairs, technical problems and low quality parts and equipment. The NPCIL and the ministers of the Government of India have announced at least 100 commissioning dates so far from the year 2005.
When the people of southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala have been waging a massive struggle against the Kodankulam project for almost 600 days and the Tamil students all over Tamil Nadu are voicing their opposition to the project, a meeting headed by the Prime Minister of India makes this announcement for 3 & 4. This clearly shows the utter apathy and indifference the UPA government has for the precepts and practices of democracy in India. Maybe, one reason is this foreign-nominated Prime Minister is not elected by the people of India and has never contested any election in his life.
There are several cases pending against the Koodankulam project as a whole and the KKNPP units 3-6 in particular at the Delhi High Court, the Supreme Court and the National Green Tribunal (NGT) about the various clearances, waste management, liability and so on. This announcement amounts to a serious contempt of all these courts.
This desperate announcement also smacks of ingenious designs to conclude all the nuclear agreements well ahead of the upcoming Parliament elections so that the Congress party can pocket all the kickbacks and commissions from these projects before they are thrown to the dustbins of history soon.
The PMANE dismisses this CCS announcement and expresses its determination to fight tooth and nail against the entire Koodankulam nuclear power project.
The Struggle Committee
The People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE)
Idinthakarai & P. O. 627 104
Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 1 Apr 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: KKNPP 3 & 4 Announcement – A Cruel Joke on Indians and Our Democracy, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Nonviolence Charter: Progress Report 13 (October 2018)
- International Day of Nonviolence 2 October
- Gandhi’s Despair and the Struggle for Truth and Love
- Swedish Woman Shows Quiet Power of Civil Disobedience as She Blocks a Deportation (video)
- The Rise of a New, Global, Indigenous Left
- Six Animal Rights Activists Charged with Felonies for Investigation and Rescue That Led to Punishment of a Utah Turkey Farm
ASIA & THE PACIFIC:
- People Are Living Inside Landfills as the World Drowns in Its Own Trash
- Japan Continues to Rely on Coal-fired Plants despite Global Criticism
- Nonviolent Afghans Bring a Breath of Fresh Air
- Fossil Fuels Are a Threat to Civilization, New U.N. Report Concludes
- Revealed: Documents Show BP Quietly Paid Just $25 Million to Mexico after the Worst Oil Spill of the Century
- Energy Transition: Portugal Breaks 100% Renewables Mark
KUDANKULAM ANTI-NUCLEAR SATYAGRAHA, INDIA: