Johan Galtung’s Acceptance Speech of the People’s Nobel in Sweden
EDITORIAL, 11 Dec 2017
2 Dec 2017 – The People’s Peace Prize According to Nobel’s Will
Celebration-Seminar-Banquet, Orust Peace Movement at Svanvik, Sweden
Most gratefully received: a beautifully engraved granite stone that will adorn our garden in Spain, and a wonderful diploma!
I am deeply moved, with a feeling that my long life dedicated to the theory and practice of peace, particularly since 1958, 50 years ago, has arrived, has been understood, and has been appreciated.
The “Nobel Peace Prize” administered by Norway is fake. Far from Nobel’s will inspired by Bertha von Suttner’s Nie mehr Krieg as a prize for reducing standing armies, understanding among nations, and peace conferences, to a prize compatible with US-Norwegian policies. The 2017 prize to ICAN was a felicitous exception to that rule.
The Norway to which Nobel bestowed the honor of awarding the prize was part of Sweden-Norway dedicated to the Marshal Bernadotte – King Karl Johan policy of neutrality, from 1835. Today’s Norway is member of an anti-Russian NATO alliance headed by the most belligerent state in world history that even surpassed the Roman Empire in early 1990s. With 248 US military interventions since Libya in 1801, and more than 20 million killed in 37 countries since 1945. Norway never protested.
In 1949 Norway should have understood that a membership in a US-led military alliance and the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize are mutually exclusive. The honor of awarding that prestigious prize should have reverted to neutral Sweden. But Oslo wanted prestige and alliance. Northern Norway, with a 240 Km Russian border and 1,000 years of peace, knew better.
NATO changed from defensive, with Art. 5 proclaiming that attack on one member is an attack on all and became de facto offensive, with attack by one member being an attack by all; on Afghanistan, on Iraq… A belligerent Norwegian prime minister became Secretary General of anti-Russian NATO, demanding bigger standing armies. This reduces the credibility of a prize awarded by official, not private, Norway, for peace policies the country itself evidently does not believe in.
A Life with Peace Issues. Yes, that is the story as a child of peace movements like War Resisters’ International. Six life points:
- War-occupation-father in concentration camp-sisters refugees Sweden
- The light from Gandhi, crying at 17-year-old when he was shot 30 Jan 1948
- The calling in Helsinki 1951 to develop non-existing peace studies
- Starting from scratch with health from my medical family as model
- Developing theory and practice, diagnosis, prognosis and therapy
- Being empirical and pragmatic, not ideological and dogmatic
Early on six wrong approaches to peace were identified; they may be necessary or helpful, but certainly not sufficient:
- Disarmament: they rearm seeing no alternatives; distargeting better
- Nonviolence: good slogan but like Gandhi did has to be made positive
- Peace Movement: peace not by meetings-resolutions-demonstrations
- Governments: security; not by threats, offensive arms and arms races
- Uni- or bi-polar worlds: Hegemonic, dangerous; multipolar better
- World Government: civilizations different; United Regions better
Dissatisfaction with theory and practice led over years to the Transcend Method, an evolving approach to peace, now characterized by:
- Karma Years: years when underlying contradictions were shaped
- Conflict: incompatible goals; made compatible by changing reality
- Violence: direct and indirect (structural), two underlying causes: unsolved conflict, unconciled trauma (wounds from past violence)
- Peace: negative, solving-conciling; positive, building good relations
- Mediation: dialogues, for mapping-legitimizing-bridging conflicts
- Vision: linking good with good, with optimism based on track record
Formulas for Peace. Yes, I think there is a Six Elements Formula, and more particularly one that reads as follows:
As shaped by DEEP CULTURE and DEEP STRUCTURE. To spell it out:
- Equity: cooperation for mutual and equal benefit
- Empathy: ability to see and feel reality as Other does
- Conflict: mutually exclusive goals in present empirical reality
- Trauma: wounds from past violence due to conflict and-or trauma
- Deep culture: reality as in individual and collective subconscious
- Deep structure: patterned interaction, empirical or potential
The formula specifies four jobs to be done, with two constraints. Conflicts are ingested, digested, for negative peace (denominator) and positive peace (numerator), energizing individual and social bodies. Violence is forgotten, as relic of the past like feudalism. Excreted.
However, the proof of a pudding is in the eating, and there are many “puddings” around. Here are Six Recent Cases, with visions:
- Africa: multi-nation federations multi-state communities for nations
- China Sea Islands: Joint property Income split 40-40-20 (ecology)
- Catalunya: not independent but with high level autonomy financially
- Syria: decolonization-westernization Muslim power to the imams
- USA/N Korea: Peace Treaty Normalization Nuclear-free Peninsula
- China/Japan: Share narratives Share islands East Asian Community
And here are Six Current Cases in the light of their Karma Years:
- West/Russia: One United Christianity – A European House 395
- West/Ukraine/Russia: Ukraine independent-neutral-federal 395
- USA/World: Enlightened, not divine Normal Part of MEXUSCAN 1620
- Afghanistan: Eliminate Durand line – Central Asian Community 1893
- Palestine-Israel: 1-2-6-20 Israel as millet Kitab community 1898
- United Regions: China EU ELAC Africa Islam SAARC ASEAN 1912 1958
Being a Norwegian please permit me Six Wishes for Norway:
- Peace Nation: good at handling conflicts at all levels also marriage
- Peace State: negative and positive peace with all, practicing Nobel
- Freedom: liberated from US occupation, US bases, US foreign policy
- Defensive defense: coastal artillery militia less vulnerable Gandhi
- Spirit of Independence: no EU successor to DK, S, GB, USA: Norway!
- Spirit of Human Property: EEZs, ocean and under, islands, sector
Peace Banquet and the Prize. The Six Dishes, with tea-coffee, included grilled eco-chicken and mango-tango. Delicious.
Why so many Six’es?
Maybe because 6 is a beautiful, well rounded number?
Not a dagger like 1, 4, 7, 9?
6 – Six – a peace number.
Like 3 (Christianity).
And like 8 (Buddhism & Hinduism).
Deep thanks, Ola. Deep thanks, Erni. You are what you preach!
Deep thanks Orust Peace Movement.
Deep thanks to the many volunteers who made it all possible.
Deep thanks to our sense of a community embracing us all.
For peace not only as a vision but inside us, among us.
And deep thanks Orust Nature for accommodating us so beautifully.
Johan Galtung, a professor of peace studies, dr hc mult, is founder of TRANSCEND International and rector of TRANSCEND Peace University. Prof. Galtung has published more than 1500 articles and book chapters, 500 Editorials for TRANSCEND Media Service, and more than 170 books on peace and related issues, of which more than 40 have been translated to other languages, including 50 Years – 100 Peace and Conflict Perspectives published by TRANSCEND University Press. More information about Prof. Galtung and all of his publications can be found at transcend.org/galtung.
Tags: Karma Years, Norway, Peace, Peace Prize, Theory, Transcend Method
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 11 Dec 2017.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Johan Galtung’s Acceptance Speech of the People’s Nobel in Sweden, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.