London International Arms Fair
ANNOUNCEMENTS, 12 Aug 2019
Sands Films Studio, in Rotherhithe, on the south bank of the Thames is hosting a series of alternative events to compete with the International Arms Fair (DSEI 2019) taking place at ExCeL across the river on the north bank from Tuesday 10th September 2019. The series will gather in one venue various expressions of protest and opposition to DSEI2019 and all other such Death Fairs anywhere in the world.
- The full programme includes films screenings, debates, music concerts and live readings. Key participants will include Alberto Portugheis and HUFUD, Louise Pyne-Jones, Head of Research at the International Observatory of Human Rights.
- London CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament), Stop The War, The Quakers, Peace Pledge Union, CAAT (Campaign Against Arms Trade) are all participating. Andrew Feinstein and Paul Holden(Corruption Watch UK) and Richard Norton Taylor (Liberty) will attend and speak.
- Musicians for Peace and Disarmament will perform.
- SHADOW WORLD, (followed by Q&A with Andrew Feinstein) Trailer
- WAR SCHOOL (Q&A by Mic Dixon) Trailer
- Chaplin’s THE GREAT DICTATOR, and the 1931 masterpiece NIEMANDSLAND
- Christine Edzard’s new film THE GOOD SOLDIER SCHWEJK, (+ Q&A) Trailer, and
- HUFUD’s film PEACE IS POSSIBLE with debate and Q&A.
- Reading from Robert Fisk’s The Great War for Civilisation (chapter on arms fair)
This is not exhaustive and a full detailed schedule of events will follow.
All events will be free but ticketed as space is limited.
Some of the debates, readings and concerts will be streamed online.
All events will take place at Sands Films Studio: 82 St Marychurch Street London SE16 4HZ- 0207 2312209 – sandsfilms.co.uk
Alberto Portugheis is a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace Development Environment. By profession a concert pianist and pedagogue, he is an active peace campaigner, whose anti-military stance earned him a nomination for the 2008 Nobel Peace Prize. As a result, Portugheis wrote Dear Ahed…..The Game of War and a Path to Peace – a book that has received critical acclaim. Another successful book followed: $$$$$s In Their Hearts. In 2015 he founded the Movement HUFUD-Humanity United For Universal Demilitarisation, which has many followers worldwide. In 2018 HUFUD Latin America was born, based in Bogotá, Colombia. In Portugheis’ writings, speeches, thoughts, ideas and reflections transpire his desire “to make people think” and not take for granted what they read or hear, “no matter where.”
Tags: Activism, Arms Industry, Arms Race, Arms Trade, Conflict, Environment, Human Rights, Indigenous Rights, International Relations, Justice, Media, Military, NATO, Nonviolence, Nuclear Weapons, Peace, Politics, Solutions, Violence, WMD, War, social justice, west, world
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 12 Aug 2019.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: London International Arms Fair, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Join the discussion!
We welcome debate and dissent, but personal — ad hominem — attacks (on authors, other users or any individual), abuse and defamatory language will not be tolerated. Nor will we tolerate attempts to deliberately disrupt discussions. We aim to maintain an inviting space to focus on intelligent interactions and debates.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article: