Operation Condor Trial Tackles Coordinated Campaign by Latin American Dictatorships to Kill Leftists
A historic trial underway in Argentina is set to reveal new details about how Latin American countries coordinated with each other in the 1970s and ’80s to eliminate political dissidents. The campaign known as “Operation Condor” involved military dictatorships in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay.
They worked together to track down, kidnap and kill people they labeled as terrorists: leftist activists, labor organizers, students, priests, journalists, guerrilla fighters and their families.
The campaign was launched by the Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, and evidence shows the CIA and former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger were complicit from its outset.
We’re joined by John Dinges, author of “The Condor Years: How Pinochet and his Allies Brought Terrorism to Three Continents.”
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 11 Mar 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Operation Condor Trial Tackles Coordinated Campaign by Latin American Dictatorships to Kill Leftists, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Indigenous People Push Back Against US 'Thanksgiving Mythology'
- SAMs for Uncle Sam
- Their Children Struggled with Addiction—Now They're Fighting against the War on Drugs
- Western Allies Look to Ukraine as a Testing Ground for Weapons
- The Stage Is Set for US Combat Troops in Ukraine
- Corporate Weapons Heaven Is a Hell on Earth
LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN:
- Hands off Haiti!!—No Military Intervention!!
- More Investment, Less Interference: How China Is Moving into 'Washington's Latin Hemisphere'
- New U.S. Sanctions Are Designed to Hit Nicaragua’s Poorest Citizens
- Interpol Arrest Warrant Issued for Angolan Billionaire Isabel dos Santos
- Attempt to Try Russian Leaders for War Crimes Is Part of the West’s Weaponization of the ICC
- PayPal: Rule of Power