(A)tom and Kerry Show: It’s All Money, Stupid!
June 21, 2013
The People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) organizes a black flag demonstration here at Idinthakarai on June 23, 2013 at 12:00 noon to oppose the visit of the American Secretary of State, Mr. John Kerry to India and to demand abrogation of the illegitimate India-US nuclear deal that was passed in the Indian Parliament by bribing MPs and carrying out gross behind-the-scene manipulations by corrupt and discredited politicians, bureaucrats and nuclear barons.
One of the top issues on Kerry’s agenda is to close the India-US nuclear deal on America’s own selfish imperial terms and conditions. They want nuclear business, profit and power to dominate the Indian market but will not offer any liability. It is pertinent to note that the 98-year-old Warren Anderson is still living hale and hearty in the United States but the Bhopal victims in India are still running from pillar to post seeking compensation, medical assistance and help to clean up the deadly waste from the Union Carbide site in Bhopal.
The American “Merchants of Venice” are seeking to set up nuclear power parks in India not to make India energy independent or to facilitate development here. They demand their ‘pound of flesh’ in the Indian nuclear business. And they will pay no liability, take no responsibility and ascribe all accountability to their subservient Japanese partners who hold many American nuclear licenses. If there is any accident at Kovvada in Andhra Pradesh or at Mithi Virdi in Gujarat, the nuclear Andersons will leave for their country in special planes but we, black and backward Indians, will be stuck here.
It’s (A)tom and Kerry Show that we are watching. As the global nuclear industry plays (A)tom, American government plays “Kerry” helping each other for their mutual benefits. In this particular “All Profitability and No Liability” episode, the global nuclear cat and the American imperial mouse display genuine friendship and concern for each other’s well-being. Koodankulam is a case in point. The Clinton-Gore administration objected to the Koodankulam nuclear power project (KKNPP) on several grounds but the American government now maintains a stoic silence because they are getting their share of the nuclear pie after all.
This gross “nuclear globalization” or “globalized nuclearization” follows the same logic (or lack thereof) of American hypocrisy, money-mindedness and imperialistic deception. Everyone in the world can build nuclear power plants except Iran and North Korea because they do not follow the Pentagon diktats. If Pyongyang and Tehran would buy a few nuclear power plants from the United States, they may suddenly become noble and acceptable. The United States has shut down San Onofre nuclear power plants because of unsafe components and safety concerns. Now, an environmental and nuclear safety manager at Hanford Nuclear Reservation has said that little is known about what was put in the waste storage tanks and how it has changed since the 1940s. Still, the American administration has no qualms about selling discredited nuclear power plants to India or has any compunction in refusing to offer any liability. The bottomline of this cruel-hearted business is this: “It’s all money, stupid!”
This (A)tom and Kerry Show is also infamous for its mind-numbing violence, militarism and war fighting all over the world. As the cat uses everything from axes, hammers, firearms and explosives, traps and poison to kill the mouse, the latter retaliates by slicing the cat in half, plugging his tail into an electric socket, pounding him with a club, or tying him to a firework and setting it off and so forth. Despite all this mind-numbing violence and mayhem, there is hardly any blood or gore in any scene.
Similarly, the violent, parasitic and blood-sucking “strategic partnership” of the United States takes place under diplomatic garbs with winks and nods at the cost of the poor people all over the world. Well, the American logic is simple and direct: “All lives are equal but American life is more equal!” Their globalization scheme is also a one-way traffic. They can ‘penetrate’ into any foreign market and violate all the existing norms and rules for their profit but no outsider can go to the United States even on a temporary job visa for a few months. Their national capital is more important than global labor.
The people of the United States can be our friends but any “strategic partnership” or nuclear business with American imperialism will be suicidal for India. The American meddling in our affairs and nuclear patronage may give rise to regional nuclear arms race among India, Pakistan and China and destabilize all our peace and development.
To record our protest against the visit of Mr. John Kerry, and to oppose India’s nuclear power plant business with any country in the world, the People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) organizes a Roundtable Discussion along with Poovulagin Nanbargal (Friends of the Earth), Doctors for Safer Environment (DOSE), and Chennai Solidarity Group for Koodankulam Struggle at 11 AM on June 22, 2013, Saturday, at the Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS) in Chennai on “John Kerry, Nuclear Liability and the dangers of foreign reactors – Lessons from Koodankulam.”
People’s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE)
Idinthakarai 627 104
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 24 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: (A)tom and Kerry Show: It’s All Money, Stupid!, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
One Response to “(A)tom and Kerry Show: It’s All Money, Stupid!”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION:
- Another Hiroshima Is Coming… Unless We Stop It Now
- Manhattan Project Spies, Cold War, MAD--Their Efforts Gifted Us 75 Years of No Nuclear War
- Trump Budget Gives Top Priority to New Generation of Nuclear Weapons
- C Is for Children--And Plenty of It, Too
- New Censorship Czars: Tech Titans Aim to Restrict Access to Information in the Vaccine Debate
- Worries about Foreign ‘Hacking’ of Vaccine Research Place Corporate Profits Ahead of Public Health
- U.S. Cold War China Policy Will Isolate the U.S, Not China
- Venezuela and Trump’s Irrational Electoral Policy
- America’s Unholy Crusade against China
- The Heart of the Matter in the South China Sea
- Royal Commission of Inquiry Calls Upon the State of Hawai‘i to Comply with International Law and to Work with the Council of Regency
- The Hawaii Navy Base Fueling Trump's Quest for 'Super Duper' Missiles
- Brazil’s Money Laundering Scandal from Hell
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tests Positive for Coronavirus
- Pandemic Spirals out of Control in South Africa, India, Brazil
- Why Bitcoin Is Not a Socialist’s Ally – Reply to Ben Arc
- Global Economy: Oil vs COVID-19
- Oil Plunges below Zero for First Time in Unprecedented Wipeout
- Only Bold State Intervention Will Save Us from a Future Owned by Corporate Giants
- The Rich Just Keep on Getting Richer
- “Goldman Sachs Is Still Goldman Sachs”: Investment Banks Soar as COVID-19 Rattles Economy
- Japan Races to Build New Coal-Burning Power Plants, Despite the Climate Risks
- How a Rising Anti-Mining Movement Is Challenging Portugal’s ‘White Gold’ Rush
- Oil Spill Hits 643 Areas in 116 Cities in Northeast and Southeast Brazil
- Bolsonaro Puts Up Brazilian Richest Oil Wells for Sale to Foreign Companies
- The Neo-Liberal Project in the World and in Brazil Is Anti-Life and the Enemy of Nature
- Who's Responsible for the Ecocide in the Amazon
- The US Military Is Using Online Gaming to Recruit Teens
- Germany and EU Expand Military Deployment in Africa
- US Blocks UN Global Ceasefire Resolution Objecting Reference to World Health Organization
- Why Climate Change Is an Irrelevance, Economic Growth Is a Myth and Sustainability Is Forty Years Too Late
- Is Growth Passé?
- The Threat 5G Poses to Human Health
KUDANKULAM ANTI-NUCLEAR SATYAGRAHA, INDIA: