Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)
KULEANA – Written by Ellen Keho’ohiwoakalani Wright Pendergast in 1893. This was a mele of opposition to the annexation of Hawai’i to the United States. Originally this mele was titled Mele ‘Ai Pōhaku (The Stone Eating Song) and was also known as Mele Aloha ‘Āina.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 10 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
3 Responses to “Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Not Just “Cops”: It’s Time to End the Entertainment Industry’s Anti-Black, Pro-Police Programming
- Paris Museums Put 100,000 Images Online for Unrestricted Public Use
- Turner Prize Awarded Four Ways after Artists' Plea to Judges
- The Japan Shinzo Abe Has Left Behind
- Pakistan and India’s Leaders Mark Freedom from British Colonialism: But Masses Look for Navigational Change
- The Heart of the Matter in the South China Sea
- "Murder Most Foul": Unpacking Bob Dylan's New Epic, from Dallas 1963 to the Pandemic of 2020
- The Answer Is in the End: George Harrison, a Prophet for Our Time
- Roger Waters and John Pilger Make Powerful Defence of Julian Assange in London
Music Video of the Week: