Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)
KULEANA – Written by Ellen Keho’ohiwoakalani Wright Pendergast in 1893. This was a mele of opposition to the annexation of Hawai’i to the United States. Originally this mele was titled Mele ‘Ai Pōhaku (The Stone Eating Song) and was also known as Mele Aloha ‘Āina.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 10 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
3 Responses to “Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
ASIA & THE PACIFIC:
- Afghanistan in Photos: When a US Strike Hits a Family Home
- A Call for Review of the Historical Facts Surrounding UNGA Resolution That Recognized Self-Government for Hawaii
- Uyghur Dispersion and Detention in China – Worse Than We Thought
- India Unveils World's Tallest Statue, Twice the Size of the Statue of Liberty
- The Act of Killing: Authorship as Performance and the Mythology of National Identity
- Why SLĀV's Cancellation Was the Right Decision
- Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon Is Elected the Best Album of All Time
- Joan Baez Goes Viral with 'Nasty Man,' a Protest Song for the Trump Era
- Music and Politics: How Much Will It Matter Again?
Music Video of the Week: