Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)
KULEANA – Written by Ellen Keho’ohiwoakalani Wright Pendergast in 1893. This was a mele of opposition to the annexation of Hawai’i to the United States. Originally this mele was titled Mele ‘Ai Pōhaku (The Stone Eating Song) and was also known as Mele Aloha ‘Āina.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 10 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
3 Responses to “Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
ASIA & THE PACIFIC:
- Australia High Court to Decide if Aboriginals without Citizenship Can Be Deported
- ICC Will Not Investigate U.S. War Crimes in Afghanistan
- The ICC Was Wrong to Deny Prosecution Request for Afghan Probe
- Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon Is Elected the Best Album of All Time
- Joan Baez Goes Viral with 'Nasty Man,' a Protest Song for the Trump Era
- Music and Politics: How Much Will It Matter Again?
- Leonardo Da Vinci Revisited: How a 15th Century Artist Dissected the Human Machine
- 8 Things You May Not Know about Leonardo Da Vinci, on the 500th Anniversary of His Death
- Statues of Edward Snowden, Julian Assange and Bradley Manning Unveiled in Berlin
Music Video of the Week: