Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)
KULEANA – Written by Ellen Keho’ohiwoakalani Wright Pendergast in 1893. This was a mele of opposition to the annexation of Hawai’i to the United States. Originally this mele was titled Mele ‘Ai Pōhaku (The Stone Eating Song) and was also known as Mele Aloha ‘Āina.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 10 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
3 Responses to “Kaulana Na Pua – (Hawai’ian Music Video of the Week)”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
ASIA & THE PACIFIC:
- Myanmar Sentences Two Reuters Reporters to Seven Years in Prison for Possessing 'Official Secrets'
- Israel's Dirty Arms Deals with Myanmar
- Philippines' Duterte Shops for Arms on Controversial Israel Trip
- Joan Baez Goes Viral with 'Nasty Man,' a Protest Song for the Trump Era
- Music and Politics: How Much Will It Matter Again?
- Palestine Youth Orchestra’s Triumphant UK Debut
- Why SLĀV's Cancellation Was the Right Decision
- Brooklyn Students Use ‘Theatre of the Oppressed’ to Explore Solutions to Gun Violence
- Drawing Palestine from Prison: The Artwork of Palestinian Cartoonist Mohammad Sabaaneh
Music Video of the Week: