The Trump Presidency (4)
TMS PEACE JOURNALISM, 14 Nov 2016
The Washington Post listed on 11 Nov “Donald Trump’s Campaign Promises”; and on 12 Nov, “Trump advisors play down some of his campaign promises”.
Trump’s new focus: health care, jobs, borders, tax reform. The 12:
- Putting Hillary Clinton in jail for mishandling classified e-mails
Unlikely, may be kept in the background as threat to control Clinton.
- Building the Wall between Mexico and the USA, paid by Mexico
Will probably be postponed and dropped, in favor of No. 6 below.
- Imposing stricter limits in the Iran nuclear deal
Other deal parties make it difficult; may backfire on US economy.
- Withdrawing the USA from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
Will probably be done, TPP has problematic dispute settlement.
- Repealing the Affordable Care Act for new health care programs
Given 25% fee increase at the end October, he will go ahead with that.
- Deporting all illegal immigrants convicted of crimes, and others
Will probably be done.
- Rebuilding the military, cooperation with Russia in Syria
Will be done, reducing military to domestic operations; adding Ukraine.
- Canceling the Paris Climate Agreement
Other agreement parties make it difficult; but USA may exit.
- Waterboarding to be continued as interrogation tactic
May be done, at great expense in US prestige-making; America look small.
- Banning all Muslim refugees from Syria
May be done, but may also disappear given No. 7 above.
- Shrinking the federal government; keeping military, police, health
Standard Republican position, not much will happen.
- Drilling for gas and oil, digging for coal
Maybe done, at great expense in US prestige-making; America look small.
Conclusion: Except for 4-5-7 bad promises, campaign talk; better forgotten.
Trump’s new focus above is much better for a president “for all Americans.”
Johan Galtung, a professor of peace studies, dr hc mult, is founder of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace, Development and Environment and rector of the TRANSCEND Peace University-TPU. Prof. Galtung has published 1670 articles and book chapters, over 450 Editorials for TRANSCEND Media Service, and 167 books on peace and related issues, of which 41 have been translated into 35 languages, for a total of 135 book translations, including ‘50 Years-100 Peace and Conflict Perspectives,’ published by the TRANSCEND University Press-TUP.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 14 Nov 2016.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: The Trump Presidency (4), is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
One Response to “The Trump Presidency (4)”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
TMS PEACE JOURNALISM: