A 700-Member Time Bank in Central Vermont
The Onion River Exchange is a 700-member time bank where members exchange goods and services instead of money. Exchanges are not reciprocal, meaning that one hour spent baking, cleaning, doing plumbing work or driving someone to the airport, can be exchanged for an hour of service provided by any other member of the time bank. In this video, we meet different members and learn about how they use the services of other members, and how they give back of their own time.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 13 May 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: A 700-Member Time Bank in Central Vermont, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Today's Protests Indicate the Scale of Troubles in Our Paradise
- Critique of Nonviolent Politics from Mahatma Gandhi to the Anti-Nuclear Movement
- A Worldwide Revolution Is Underway
- The Costs of Post 9/11 Wars through FY2020: $6.4 Trillion
- The Poisoning of American Political Discourse
- Trump’s Worst Impeachable Offense Hurts the Whole World--Climate
- Brazil: Lula Is Free!
- UN Rapporteur Nils Melzer Warns: Julian Assange May Die in British Prison
- ‘This Charge Is 100% False’: Grayzone Editor Max Blumenthal Arrested Months after Reporting on Venezuelan Opposition Violence
- Cuban Compassion: Training Doctors for a Pacific Island Nation Running Out of Time
- In Joyful Act of Resistance, Pink Seesaws Installed at US-Mexico Border Fence
- The Little Known Story/History of the Chernobyl Children Cured in Cuba
- Wall Street at Record Highs as Global Growth Slows
- Bolsonaro Puts Up Brazilian Richest Oil Wells for Sale to Foreign Companies
- How to Crush a Bankers’ Dictatorship: A Lesson from 1933
- Is There a Place for Ethics in Smart Cities?
- Eminent Buddhist Leader Daisaku Ikeda Urges Halt to Nuclear Weapons and Killer Robots
- The Neo-Liberal Project in the World and in Brazil Is Anti-Life and the Enemy of Nature
SHORT VIDEO CLIPS: