A 700-Member Time Bank in Central Vermont
The Onion River Exchange is a 700-member time bank where members exchange goods and services instead of money. Exchanges are not reciprocal, meaning that one hour spent baking, cleaning, doing plumbing work or driving someone to the airport, can be exchanged for an hour of service provided by any other member of the time bank. In this video, we meet different members and learn about how they use the services of other members, and how they give back of their own time.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 13 May 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: A 700-Member Time Bank in Central Vermont, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Why Learning from Each Other’s Struggles Is Vital to Long-Term Movement Success
- How Movements Can Maintain Their Radical Vision while Winning Practical Reforms
- Russians Resist War
- Amnesty International Resists Calls to Designate Assange a 'Prisoner of Conscience' as Extradition Looms
- The Persecution of Julian Assange
- The UK Supreme Court Won’t Listen to Assange, but the Legal Battle Is Still On
- On Bush’s Freudian Confession
- New Documents Show How Drug Companies Targeted Doctors to Increase Opioid Prescriptions
- USA's Selective Outrage over Ukraine Is Fashioned by a Well-Oiled Propaganda Machine... Just Ask the People of Yemen
- Ukraine and the Global Economic War: Is This Barbarism or Civilization?
- Slavoj Zizek: It’s Naive to Think Bitcoin & NFT Give Us Freedom
- Did the NY Fed Confiscate $1.3 Billion in Afghan Gold?
- Formerly Incarcerated Women Launch Chicago Worker Cooperative
- The Boss Who Put Everyone on 70K
- Cuban Compassion: Training Doctors for a Pacific Island Nation Running Out of Time
- Why Climate Change Is an Irrelevance, Economic Growth Is a Myth and Sustainability Is Forty Years Too Late
- Is Growth Passé?
- The Threat 5G Poses to Human Health
SHORT VIDEO CLIPS: