Daughter of Mossad Chief: I Refuse to Enlist in the Israeli Military
Read Description Below Video
I refuse to take part in the war crimes committed by my country. Violence will not bring any kind of solution, and I shall not commit violence, come what may.
Omer Goldman, age 19, Tel Aviv
First Prison Sentence: 22 Sep-10 Oct, 2008 (18 days)
Second Prison Sentence: 12-24 Oct, 2008 (10 days)
Omer Goldman, has had to confront the values of her own family. She is the daughter of the former deputy head of Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service and who is still considered one of the most powerful men in the Israeli security system. Omer, without her fathers permission visited a Palestinian town in the West Bank and at a check-point, alongside Palestinians, her supposed enemies, was fired upon by Israeli soldiers, We were sitting by the roadside talking and soldiers came along and after a few seconds they received an order and fired gas grenades and rubber bullets at us. Then it struck me, to my astonishment, that the soldiers were following an order without thinking. For the first time in my life, an Israeli soldier raised his weapon and fired at me.
Although, not surprisingly, her father does not support her decision to refuse, he still supports her as a daughter. He and I have very similar characters. I, too, fight to the end for what I believe in. But we are opposites ideologically.
In her declaration of refusal she stated:
I refuse to enlist in the Israeli military. I shall not be part of an army that needlessly implements a violent policy and violates the most basic human rights on a daily basis.
Like most of my peers, I too have not dared to question the ethics of the Israeli military. But when I visited the Occupied Territories I realized I see a completely different reality, a violent, oppressive, extreme reality that must be ended.
I believe in service to the society I am part of, and that is precisely why I refuse to take part in the war crimes committed by my country. Violence will not bring any kind of solution, and I shall not commit violence, come what may.
Join the BDS-BOYCOTT, DIVESTMENT, SANCTIONS campaign to protest the Israeli barbaric siege of Gaza, illegal occupation of the Palestine nation’s territory, the apartheid wall, its inhuman and degrading treatment of the Palestinian people, and the more than 7,000 Palestinian men, women, elderly and children arbitrarily locked up in Israeli prisons.
DON’T BUY PRODUCTS WHOSE BARCODE STARTS WITH 729, which indicates that it is produced in Israel. DO YOUR PART! MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
7 2 9: BOYCOTT FOR JUSTICE!
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 10 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Daughter of Mossad Chief: I Refuse to Enlist in the Israeli Military, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
One Response to “Daughter of Mossad Chief: I Refuse to Enlist in the Israeli Military”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Ukrainian Nonviolent Civil Resistance in the Face of War
- Ukrainians Could Defeat a Russian Occupation by Scaling Up Unarmed Resistance
- The Root Problem Is War--Not Putin
- Why Learning from Each Other’s Struggles Is Vital to Long-Term Movement Success
- How Movements Can Maintain Their Radical Vision while Winning Practical Reforms
- Russians Resist War
- Western Allies Look to Ukraine as a Testing Ground for Weapons
- The Stage Is Set for US Combat Troops in Ukraine
- Corporate Weapons Heaven Is a Hell on Earth
MIDDLE EAST AND NORTH AFRICA:
- Yemeni Children Starve to Death amid Endless War
- Yemen: The Largest Humanitarian Crisis That No One Discusses
- How the Western Leaders Destroyed the Muslim World: We, the People, and Revival of Colonization
PALESTINE - ISRAEL:
- Israel Has Jailed 50,000 Palestinian Children since 1967, and the Number of Detentions Is Growing Rapidly: Report
- What to Expect from Netanyahu & Religious Zionism
- Top 5 Worst Things That Far-Right Netanyahu Could Do as Prime Minister
SHORT VIDEO CLIPS: