Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire on the 2016 Freedom Flotilla to Gaza
The Peace People – TRANSCEND Media Service
19 May 2017
Women’s Boat to Gaza
Mairead Corrigan Maguire, co-founder of Peace People, is a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace, Development and Environment. She won the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize for her work for peace in Northern Ireland. Her book The Vision of Peace (edited by John Dear, with a foreword by Desmond Tutu and a preface by the Dalai Lama) is available from www.wipfandstock.com. She lives in Belfast, Northern Ireland. See: www.peacepeople.com.
The Peace People began in 1976 as a protest movement against the ongoing violence in Northern Ireland. Its three founders were Mairead Maguire, Betty Williams and Ciaran McKeown. Over 100,000 people were involved in the initial movement and two of the founders, Mairead and Betty, received the Nobel Peace Prize for that year. Since its inception, the organization has been committed to building a just, peaceful society through nonviolent means – a society based on respect for each individual, and that has at its core the highest standards of human and civil rights. www.peacepeople.com
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 29 May 2017.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire on the 2016 Freedom Flotilla to Gaza, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
- Audio Interview with Johan Galtung on Peace Journalism
- Transforming Violent Systems: The Key to Social Peace
- Jake Lynch on Peace Journalism
- After 70 Years of Ethnic Cleansing and Global Complicity – Are We Racist?
- Open Letter to Prime Minister Theresa May from Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire
- Dispatch from Bangladesh: “This Is Gang Rape, Murder, Torture – A Genocidal Policy to Destroy a Whole People… ” — Mairead Maguire
SHORT VIDEO CLIPS: