Ten Nuclear Wishes for the New Year
TRANSCEND MEMBERS, 15 Jan 2018
- That Hiroshima and Nagasaki’s past will not become an
- other city’s future.
- That the new UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons will get at least 50 ratifications and enter into force.
- That there will be no further proliferation of nuclear weapons to other countries.
- That no insane leader will initiate a nuclear war and leaders of nuclear-armed countries will stop taunting each other.
- That nuclear deterrence will be recognized for the fraud that it is.
- That there will be no accidents or miscalculations leading to nuclear catastrophe.
- That the parties to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty will engage in good faith negotiations, as the treaty requires, for an end to the nuclear arms race and for nuclear disarmament.
- That there will be no cyber-attacks on nuclear weapons systems, leading to the launch of nuclear weapons.
- That the nuclear weapons states will halt their plans to spend hundreds of billions, even trillions, of dollars to modernize their nuclear arsenals.
- That people everywhere will realize the necessity for peace in the Nuclear Age and will demand that their governments seek peace and the abolition of nuclear weapons.
David Krieger is founder and president of the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, and a member of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace, Development and Environment. Amongst several of his wide-spanning leadership endeavors in global peacebuilding, he is a founder and a member of the Global Council of Abolition 2000, councilor on the World Future Council, and is the chair of the Executive Committee of the International Network of Engineers and Scientists for Global Responsibility. Dr. Krieger is the author of many books and studies of peace in the Nuclear Age. He has written or edited more than 20 books and hundreds of articles and book chapters. He is a recipient of several awards and honors, including the OMNI Center for Peace, Justice and Ecology Peace Writing Award for Poetry (2010). He has a new collection of poems entitled Wake Up. For more visit the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation website: www.wagingpeace.org.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 15 Jan 2018.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Ten Nuclear Wishes for the New Year, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article: