At $716 Billion, the US Military Budget Is Bigger Than Those of 144 Countries Combined and Largest Contributor to Climate Change
“State sovereignty is a goner. Bankism and Military Capitalism rule the world in all respects now.
“Militaries are the ultimate manifestation of direct, structural and cultural violence—a cancer that must be extirpated from humanity.”
- Imperialism: A policy or ideology of extending a country’s power and influence through colonization, use of military force, or any other means.
- Neocolonialism: The use of economic, political, cultural, military or other pressures to control or influence other countries, especially former dependencies and economically-dependent, less powerful countries.
- Neoliberalism: The 20th-century resurgence of 19th-century ideas associated with laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism. It shares many attributes with other concepts that have contested meanings, including democracy.
- Fascism: A form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of domestic or external opposition backed by an overwhelming military, and strong regimentation of society and of the economy.
It’s no coincidence that US military emissions tend to be overlooked in climate change studies:
*Meet the Money behind the Climate Denial Movement – Smithsonian Magazine – Nearly a billion dollars a year is flowing into the organized climate change counter-movement.
*The U.S. Now Solves Problems with Troops, Not Diplomats – The Conversation – Is the USA a bully? 3 Oct 2019
*The U.S. Spends More on Its Military Than 144 Countries Combined – Institute for Policy Studies – The numbers are stark increases from last year’s differences. July 25, 2019
Antonio Carlos da Silva Rosa, born 1946, is founder-editor of the pioneering Peace Journalism website, TRANSCEND Media Service-TMS (from 2008), an assistant to Prof. Johan Galtung, Secretary of the International Board of the TRANSCEND Network for Peace Development Environment, and recipient of the Psychologists for Social Responsibility’s 2017 Anthony J. Marsella Prize for the Psychology of Peace and Social Justice. He completed his B.A., M.A., and graduate Ph.D. work in the fields of Communication-Journalism and Political Science-Peace Studies/International Relations at the University of Hawai’i. Originally from Brazil, he lives presently in Porto, Portugal. Antonio was educated in the USA where he lived for 20 years; in Europe-India since 1994. Books: Transcender e Transformar: Uma Introdução ao Trabalho de Conflitos (from Johan Galtung, translation to Portuguese, 2004); Peace Journalism: 80 Galtung Editorials on War and Peace (2010, editor); Cobertura de Conflitos: Jornalismo para a Paz (from Johan Galtung, Jake Lynch & Annabel McGoldrick, translation to Portuguese, 2010). TMS articles by Mr. Rosa HERE. Videos HERE and HERE.
Tags: Activism, Capitalism, Climate Change, Conflict, Development, Economics, Environment, Geopolitics, Global warming, Hegemony, History, Human Rights, Imperialism, Military, NATO, Pentagon, Politics, Power, Science, Solutions, US Military, USA, Violence, War, World
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 7 Oct 2019.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: At $716 Billion, the US Military Budget Is Bigger Than Those of 144 Countries Combined and Largest Contributor to Climate Change, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
2 Responses to “At $716 Billion, the US Military Budget Is Bigger Than Those of 144 Countries Combined and Largest Contributor to Climate Change”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION:
- Joint Statement of the Leaders of the Five Nuclear-Weapon States on Preventing Nuclear War and Avoiding Arms Races
- What Does the Statement of the Five Nuclear-Weapon States on Preventing Nuclear War Tell Us?
- US Still Doesn’t Know How and Where It Will Store Its Growing Pile of Nuclear Waste
- New World Records: More Weapons than Ever--and a Hunger Crisis like No Other
- Spirituality Today
- Needed: A Global Movement for Nuclear Disarmament
- Either We Will All Be Saved or We Will All Disappear Equally! That, Is the Dilemma
- NATO Has Completed Its Post-Cold War Transformation from Europe's Guard Dog into Anglo America's Attack Dog
- Empire to Expand NATO in Response to War Caused by NATO Expansion
- The Richest 1% Pollute More than the Poorest 50%
- Five More Planets Earth Urgently Needed
- Plastic Recycling Doesn’t Work and Will Never Work
- Pandemic Created 1 New Billionaire Every 30 Hours, Now Millions Could Face ‘Extreme’ Poverty
- Big Fossil’s Disaster Capitalist Response to Russia-Ukraine
- The Legal Psychedelics Industry: Capitalism on Drugs
- Who Is to Blame for Inflation? The Power Brokers of Capitalism
- Ukraine and the Global Economic War: Is This Barbarism or Civilization?
- Slavoj Zizek: It’s Naive to Think Bitcoin & NFT Give Us Freedom