Parque Johan Galtung in Spain
Alfaz, Spain, 15 June 2013
Between the mountains and the sea at the Mediterranean Costa Blanca, Alfaz is home to many nationalities. The Norwegians rank #3 after the native Spaniards and the English #2.
Today Alfaz Mayor Vicente Arques unveiled a monument by the famous Basque sculptor Agustin Ibarrola in memory of the victims of the atrocious Oslo and Utoya terrorist attacks in Norway on 22 July 2011. He cited Gandhi: “There is no road to peace; peace is the road.”
The monument is located in a park named in honor of a long time Alfaz resident, Prof. Johan Galtung, Norwegian by birth and known as ‘the father of peace studies’ for his peace work around the world and more recently in Nepal, East Asia, Qatar, Bangladesh, Syria, Turkey and the USA.
Galtung–like Ibarrola born in 1930– deeply moved with the distinction, thanked Alfaz for being a model of integration for peace. He condemned terrorism of all kinds-state and private-promising to continue his work for peaceful resolutions to conflicts and ‘peace by peaceful means,’ the motto of TRANSCEND International-A Network for Peace, Development and Environment, the NGO he founded in 1993.
This article originally appeared on Transcend Media Service (TMS) on 17 Jun 2013.
Anticopyright: Editorials and articles originated on TMS may be freely reprinted, disseminated, translated and used as background material, provided an acknowledgement and link to the source, TMS: Parque Johan Galtung in Spain, is included. Thank you.
This work is licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 License.
2 Responses to “Parque Johan Galtung in Spain”
Click here to go to the current weekly digest or pick another article:
CONFLICT RESOLUTION - MEDIATION:
- Conflict Prevention, Mediation: Among ‘Most Important Tools’ to Reduce Human Suffering, Guterres Tells Security Council
- Making Peace: Israel/Palestine
- 2019 Peace Proposal - “Toward a New Era of Peace and Disarmament: A People-Centered Approach.”
- Help us remain alive by becoming a monthly sustaining donor! - Fundraising STOPPED!!
- Doctoral Thesis on Nonkilling Mechanisms by TRANSCEND Member Joám Evans Pim at Åbo Akademi University, Finland
- Health and Development in Norway — A New Old Book from TRANSCEND University Press
TMS PEACE JOURNALISM:
- The Bottom Line: Go for the Money
- The Problem Is Civil Obedience
- The '3.5% Rule': How a Small Minority Can Change the World
- Corporations Are Funding Health and Nutrition Research – Here’s Why You Should Be Worried
- National Campaign for Peace Education Launched in Cameroon
- What Does It Mean to Teach Peace?
- Tank Warfare and Its Challenges for Global Governance
- Fake Food, Fake Meat: Big Food’s Desperate Attempt to Further the Industrialisation of Food
- The Cart before a Dead Horse – Open Letter to Mahmoud Abbas and All Palestinians
- The Antiwar Movement No One Can See
- Why Stonewall Matters Today
- Creative + Strategic = Effective Movements for Change
- Grand Theft Europe
- How ‘Bungling Boris’ Bounced Back from His 2016 Setback
- EU Blasted for Ever Closer Cooperation with Terror Regime in Israel
- The Coming Show Trial of Julian Assange
- The U.S. Government’s Crusade against Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning
- ‘Mirthless Laugh’ - The Persecution and Torture of Julian Assange